Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Still Digging Deep...Just Moving On!


The blog probably won't last much longer. I'm officially completely done w/ professional cycling. I'll be teaching full-time this fall. I will be doing some cross and I've been running 3x a week to see if the reconstructed knee will hold up for a triathlon! We'll see. I'll tell you this, running 6 miles 3x a week destroys my cycling legs. I was pedaling squares the other day on an "easy" group ride. 50 miles never felt so miserable!!! What's that about? Any tri people want to give me tips? It's only natural for me to try. I swam in college and ran in high school....add that to my cycling and well, it's worth a try right????? The bum knee is my only fear. Maybe I'll have to speed-walk my way to the finish line..ha!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you...MOM

Unknown said...

I love you too! Aunt Jo

Brooke said...

Heather,
You should totally do triathlons. I have had two knee surgeries and I am doing fine. You can find a balance on what your body can handle. I think I am going to do some triathlons (not just duathlons!) next year! And, keep your blog:-)!
Best wishes, Brooke

Mandy said...

Heather,
Didn't see this until I checked your blog today. Congrats on your choice. It's a tough one to make and I'm glad you had the maturity and presence of mind to think about it. Some people retire out of frustration and short-term insanity. This instead seems to be a change in the flow of your life. Proud of you.
I, too, am thinking triathlon. I seem to be built for that sorta thing. Boy, it took me some time to even admit that I'd try it (aside from the fact that I can't swim and am afraid of water). It was because of the "trigeek" image roadies always tell you about triathletes. But once I realized that some roadies have no idea what its going on in the world outside of velonews.com; I came to my senses and saw that it might be a lot of fun and it's a much more supportive sport than lonely road racing. Either you're in the pack or you're dropped (and branded a loser). With tri, everybody is at a different level and you're never alone.
At least that is what I think goes on. I'm willing to find out. Let me know if you come up with any good training programs for us ex-cyclists.
Cheerio!
mL

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if you will get this but I am a recent x triathlete. Due to a running injury I will now concentrate on bike racing. Your leggs will come around but instead of running 3x @ 6 miles why dont you try running 20 min, 30 min then 40 min. 3x per week to get your body used to running. Then you will have to start doing bricks, run bike, swim bike workouts. Dont expect to bike like you used to. You really dont have to run a lot, you just have to do quality workouts. If you are looking for some advice and coaching. Check out Jennifer Harrison's blog. Never used her but everyone that does, kills it.