Monday, July 23, 2007

US National Championships: Road Race


USA Elite National Road Race Championships


Riders in attendance:
Heather Labance
Natalie Klemko


Natalie and I lined up for the start of the US National Road Race Championships alongside a very impressive elite field. Kristen Armstrong, the current World Champion Time Trialist and the past National Champion was looking for a repeat win in Seven Springs, PA. Webcor Builders had their “A” team there to support their phenom, Mara Abott. The course was a very challenging 28 mile hilly loop that we raced two times.

The big teams were very active in the first lap. There were many attacks leading to the base of largest climb, but the field still had all of the strongest contenders in it at the start of the climb. At the steepest section of the climb a small group splintered off the front of the pack. I was in the chase group and Natalie in a few groups behind me. I worked with a few girls from Aarons to try to regain contact with the select group of climbers up the road. I hit 60 miles per hour bombing down the big descent. I was able to see the group not to far ahead of us then. We were able to grind it up a few hills and catch the climbers on a long highway climb. As soon as we latched on to this group, Mara Abott attacked. I was exhausted from the chase and was unable to respond. The racers were shattered all over the highway. Eight riders got away again and again, I was in the chase group.

My group ended up finishing about a minute and half behind the leaders. Mara Abott beat out Kristen Armstsrong for the National title. I had some amazing riders in my group, so I had my work cut out for a top ten finish. I had to get first or second in an uphill sprint to be in top ten. Laura VanGilder exploded with a massive sprint in her usual form. I was able to go with her and so did three others. The tippy top of the hill flattened out for about 25 meters so I flipped my gears into the “big” ring hoping to sprint by the two in front of me. The shifting caused a delay and the two pulled slightly more ahead of me. I regained my momentum and began to catch…..but not in time for the finish. I ended up third in my group which was 11th overall. It was a respectable finish in such a field, but still disappointing that I couldn’t squeak out a top ten. Natalie finished 34th overall in the elite field, but her competition was against the 15 other U23 (Under the age of 23) riders. Natalie finished 8th in the U23 competition.

No comments: