Thursday, May 1, 2008

CHANGE IN PLANS

My Second Grade Classroom. Maddie came in to help me get organized!!!!!
My new job! Franklin Elementary School and my number one helper...Maddie!!!!!



Lots has happened since my last post. I decided to interview for a teaching position. I got it, accepted it and started one week later! I'm teaching second grade full-time at Franklin Elementary School. I'm exhausted with the major shift in life.




I had to help my family financially. Cycling and part time preschool just weren't enough. The timing of this job was perfect and horrible at the same time. We needed it...perfect! I'm headed to China and won't be able to go now...horrible!




I'm adjusting to the new schedule:




5AM Wake and get myself a HUGE cup of JOE and shower/dress, make my lunch, Maddie's lunch and breakfast




6AM Wake sleepy Maddie and get her dressed/breakfast pack our bags and




6:45 out the door with the dog (Beans). Drop Beans the dog off at my parents...she's a spoiled Weimaranner




7AM drop Maddie off at her friends house and her BRAND new bus stop since the change!




7:30 at my school


7:55-2:30 Teach 2nd Grade


2:30-3:30 Finish up work/lessons, etc


4:00 Bus stop to pick up Maddie go pick up the dog


5:00 then homework, dinner, (Maddie's softball practice...blah bblah blah




9:00 in bed and get ready to do it again.




Please help me figure out where to train! I train on the weekends and will try to do 1 or 2 days a week through June. The summer will be different and hopefully I'll be able to find a little fitness to help the team. I'll be doing some local/regional racing here and there and then some races with the team that I can get there and back by Monday AM ready to teach again. (Maryland, Deleware, Philly, etc). I'm doing a 6 mile hill climb TT on Saturday that I might die attempting!


I'm struggling a little bit with not training. Super frustrating and I'm quite irritable once I'm home!!! Just a big transition.




I've only been on the bike a handful of times and ran a few times (horrible pain that I don't recommend) since I started my new position 3 weeks ago. I think I will get better and faster at finishing my school work/planning etc and then there may be more time to ride. We'll see. Thanks for wondering where I went and if I was OK.








3 comments:

b-luv said...

i have been wondering!!! wow. i totally get it....i changed gears inthe blink of an eye too, training is tricky for sure :(
but hey...at least you have summers off!! congrats on the job. very cool very cool. you'll get your legs back and you'll find a place for it all. it just works out that way when its meant to be :)

miss you
b

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

I'm sorry to hear that your cycling plans have been moved to the back burner but I'm happy for you that you got a job exactly when you were looking for one. I actually just started a brand new job, myself, 3 weeks ago. I got laid off at my old one and was able to get hired elsewhere of only being unemployed for two weeks (and did I mention a total career change?!). The only thing I dislike about this perfect job are the hours...9-6. I am NOT a morning person and training early is simply not an option for me. It really really stinks getting home now at 6:30pm and having to fit in riding and homework (I'm going to school online). This was not the ideal situation for me because one of my main objectives after being let go from my other job was to try and find something that allowed more time after work (my hours were 8-4 but had a 1-1.5 hr commute one way). But the weird thing is that I actually get home later now - working until 6 with a 20 min commute - than I did when I got out at 4-4:30 with an hour to hour and a half commute. I went in the wrong direction!!!

So I totally feel your pain. I rode the trainer 3 days this week. I don't enjoy getting home at 6:30 and having to rush to get changed, throw a bottle on the bike, and just hammer away out on the roads for an hour and twenty before it gets too dark outside. My new job situation is perfect for me and my career but it totally conflicts with my cycling. I'm not happy about it but it is what it is.

If cycling is something that's important to you then you'll make it work. If it means keeping your bike set up on the trainer so motivate you to ride then go for it. Do whatever you have to do to keep the desire and the drive high.

Good luck with everything!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Heather, It just goes to show you excel in other areas besides cycling. Mother,spouse, teacher, cyclist, friend to your fans.
I personally have seen you brake for small animals too. Your life is the totality of your endeavors. I wonder how many of those 7 year olds you will inspire. No doubt it will be many. Dan.