Monday, May 26, 2008

Positive Attitude


This weekend I zoomed out of my second grade classroom to meet up with Reem, Anna and Natalie. We jammed ourselves in Anna's car and off to Maryland for Bike Jam. We would meet Kirsten down there. We stayed with Mo, Reem's brother. It's always nice to see Mo!!


The race at Bike Jam was...well.... well Anna broke her leg in a very stupid crash (on a straight away). The race actually stopped for a couple of minutes to get all the wounded off the course! The rest of the team continued to race while thinking of Anna. We were setting up for the sprint when yet another girl was sliding across the road! I narrowly missed running over her head and skidded to a complete stop. Kirsten almost t-boned me and Natalie flew towards the grass. Reem was able to ride around the carnage and continue. When the sprint started I was standing next to my bike trying to step over screaming girls still attached to their bikes. OK, trying to remain positive!


Anna came home from the hospital that night. She remained positive and upbeat! She never complained about pain, never complained about lost opportunities, never complained about waiting for the rest of us to race in DC the next day and then come back to get her for the long trip from Maryland...and didn't even complain when I cracked into her leg with my elbow while she had it elevated in the car! He comments were, "It's OK, don't worry about it, but we should all be careful!"


Our race at DC was nothing to write home about. Another bad crash with ambulances called. I tried to get in some moves to be in a break...my best chance of getting a good result, but nothing stuck and I probably wasted too much energy. I'm still trying to race into fitness and it's humbling but it's coming...it's coming!


Anna continues to inspire me!

1 comment:

Anna Milkowski said...

Um, Heather, thanks. Time for a new blog update!!!!!