Monday, March 19, 2007

Fast Racing In California!




Wow, that was fast! I completed the first weekend of racing in California. The 30K time trial was brutal. It was 90 degrees and LONG. I felt pretty good and caught two girls on the course, but I was also caught by two different girls on the course. I felt that I was riding too strong for that to happen, so I started to look at my bike and question it. I immediately saw that my front break was locked onto my wheel.....yikes. I opened it up completely and felt FREE. I picked up speed and passed one of the two girls that caught me, Kim Anderson from T-Mobile. I guess riding 3/4 of this course with a locked break took a lot out of me, b/c on the last climb (where I should make up some time) Kim Anderson passed me again! I was cooked. So, I had 50 minutes of HARD training! Good stuff.
The Visalia crit was fast and furious from the start. T-Mobile controlled the entire race pretty much. I was in great position the entire race and was able to cover some moves and help our sprinter, Natalie move up into position two times. Natalie sprinted like crazy and got 7th...I think. She's awesome. Laura and Kirsten worked their butts off as well. Laura covered tons of moves all day, she's very strong and ready for crit racing. It was a great team effort.
There was a little mix up with the lap cards and half of the field thought it was time to sprint when there were actually two laps to go. Laura was in that mix and had nothing left for the second and final sprint of the day. Makenzie Dickey actually threw her arms up thinking she'd won the sprint with two laps to go. None the less, it was a fast wind up for the final sprint!
We leave today for Redlands. It's been an experience here on the farm. We've had cook outs, drove tractors that were built in the 1940's and picked oranges and grapefruits for our travels.
More to come! Hopefully I'll be able to get some photos up soon.
xoxox

No comments: